WHEREAS, Northern Virginia is a growing area of the state with a substantial transportation network; and
WHEREAS, businesses and persons traveling within the region cross county and city lines for their private purposes and coordination among counties is necessary for the future economic prosperity of the region; and
WHEREAS, Fairfax County, Loudoun County, and Prince William County have become major crossroads for people and goods traveling through this region; and
WHEREAS, there are several regional transportation planning bodies in Northern Virginia and in some cases transportation proposals require the approval of as many as nine different transportation organizations for certain transportation decisions; and
WHEREAS, movement between counties continues to increase and will increase more in the foreseeable future; now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED by the Senate, the House of Delegates concurring, That the Transportation Coordinating Council of Northern Virginia be requested to study regional transportation planning in Northern Virginia. The Council is requested to consider the following:
1. Whether the functions of various transportation organizations should be consolidated into one regional body;
2. What mechanisms should be used to manage coordination of transportation plans among the various jurisdictions in Northern Virginia;
3. Whether any road or other transportation facilities that connect counties should be subject to the approval of a regional transportation body;
4. Whether this regional transportation body should have representatives from the District of Columbia, Maryland, and the federal government;
5. Whether such a body should facilitate the planning of rail, bus, and mass transportation in Northern Virginia;
6. What federal, state, and local restrictions exist to hinder or facilitate establishment of such a regional body;
7. What funding sources would be available or should be used by such regional transportation body;
8. The purpose, needs, benefits, authority, composition, responsibility, and funding of a Northern Virginia Regional Transportation Authority; and
9. Any other matter that the commission believes would facilitate regional transportation planning in Northern Virginia.
The Council shall appoint a Task Force of representatives of the business community and citizens from the area served by the Council to advise it in its task.
The Council shall complete its work in time to submit its findings and recommendations to the Governor and the 1996 Session of the General Assembly as provided in the procedures of the Division of Legislative Automated Systems for processing legislative documents.