Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:
1. That § 9.1-184 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:
§ 9.1-184. Virginia Center for School Safety created; duties.
A. From such funds as may be appropriated, the Virginia Center
for School Safety (the
1. Provide training for Virginia public school personnel in school safety, on evidence-based antibullying tactics, and in the effective identification of students who may be at risk for violent behavior and in need of special services or assistance;
2. Serve as a resource and referral center for Virginia school divisions by conducting research, sponsoring workshops, and providing information regarding current school safety concerns, such as conflict management and peer mediation, bullying, school facility design and technology, current state and federal statutory and regulatory school safety requirements, and legal and constitutional issues regarding school safety and individual rights;
3. Maintain and disseminate information to local school divisions on effective school safety initiatives in Virginia and across the nation;
4. Collect, analyze, and disseminate various Virginia school safety data, including school safety audit information submitted to it pursuant to § 22.1-279.8, collected by the Department;
5. Encourage the development of partnerships between the public and private sectors to promote school safety in Virginia;
6. Provide technical assistance to Virginia school divisions in the development and implementation of initiatives promoting school safety;
7. Develop a memorandum of understanding between the
B. All agencies of the Commonwealth shall cooperate with the Center and, upon request, assist the Center in the performance of its duties and responsibilities.