Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:
1. That § 3.2-5130 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:
§ 3.2-5130. Inspections required to operate food establishment.
A. It is unlawful to operate a food manufacturing plant, food storage warehouse, or retail food store until it has been inspected by the Commissioner. This section shall not apply to:
1. Food manufacturing plants operating under a grant of inspection from the Office of Meat and Poultry Services or a permit from the Office of Dairy and Foods in the Department; and Grade A fluid milk manufacturing plants and shellfish and crustacea processing plants operating under a permit from the Virginia Department of Health;
2. Nonprofit organizations holding one-day food sales;
3. Private homes where the resident processes and prepares candies, jams, and jellies not considered to be low-acid or acidified low-acid food products and baked goods that do not require time or temperature control after preparation if such products are: (i) sold to an individual for his own consumption and not for resale; (ii) sold at the private home or at farmers markets; and (iii) labeled "NOT FOR RESALE - PROCESSED AND PREPARED WITHOUT STATE INSPECTION." Nothing in this subdivision shall create or diminish the authority of the Commissioner under § 3.2-5102;
4. Private homes where the resident processes and prepares
honey produced by his own hives, if: (i) the resident sells less than 250
gallons of honey annually; (ii) the resident does not process and sell other
food products in addition to honey, except as allowed by subdivision A 3; (iii)
the product complies with the other provisions of this chapter; (iv) the
product is labeled "PROCESSED AND PREPARED WITHOUT STATE INSPECTION.
WARNING: Do Not Feed Honey to Infants Under One Year Old."; and (v) the resident
certifies in writing annually to the Department that he meets the requirements
of this subdivision. Nothing in this subdivision shall increase or diminish the
authority of the Commissioner under § 3.2-5102;
5. Retail establishments that: (i) do not prepare or serve food; (ii) sell only food or beverages that are sealed in packaging by the manufacturer and have been officially inspected in the manufacturing process; (iii) do not sell infant formulas; (iv) do not sell salvaged foods; and (v) certify to the Department that they meet the provisions of this section. Retail establishments that meet the provisions of this subdivision shall be exempt from inspection and the inspection fees. Nothing in this section shall prevent the Department from inspecting any retail establishment if a consumer complaint is received; and
6. Any store that (i) is owned and operated by the owner of the land on which the store is located, (ii) is located on land involved in an agricultural operation as defined in § 3.2-300, and (iii) sells farm products, as defined in § 3.2-4709, produced by the owner of the store or by residents of the jurisdiction in which the store is located or by residents of adjacent jurisdictions.
B. Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.