Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:
1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding a section numbered 2.2-3808.2 as follows:
§ 2.2-3808.2. Posting certain information on the Internet; prohibitions.
A. Beginning January 1, 2004, no court clerk shall post on a court-controlled website any document that contains the following information: (i) an actual signature; (ii) a social security number; (iii) a date of birth identified with a particular person; (iv) the maiden name of a person's parent so as to be identified with a particular person; (v) any financial account number or numbers; or (vi) the name and age of any minor child.
B. Each such clerk shall post notice that includes a list of the documents routinely posted on its website.
C. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit access to any original document as provided by law.
D. This section shall not apply to the following:
1. Providing remote access to any document by means of a network or system that is certified by the Department of Technology Planning to be secure and to provide for restricted access pursuant to security standards developed in consultation with the circuit court clerks, the Executive Secretary of the Supreme Court, the Compensation Board, and users of land and other court records. Such standards shall include, but not be limited to, a requirement, as a precondition for access, for registration by users in person or by means of a notarized or otherwise sworn application that establishes the prospective user's identity;
2. Postings related to legitimate law-enforcement purposes;
3. Postings of historical, genealogical, interpretive, or educational documents and information about historic persons and events; and
4. Postings of instruments and records filed or recorded prior to 1902.
That the provisions of this act shall expire on July 1, 2005.